About Us

Newman Grove Beginnings…

Newman Grove, located in the southwest corner of Madison County, was incorporated February 9, 1888. Over twenty years before, a community was formed. The first white man to join the Indians on the grassy treeless prairie was a Scotsman named Johnny Bloomfield in the 1860’s. He remained alone with the Indians for about five years living in a dugout along Shell Creek before being joined by another small group of white men in 1864. Among this group was the town’s namesake, Newman Warren and his father, Lewis. Newman Warren homesteaded land along the Shell Creek to the south where he, his father, and his sister, Austania, planted a grove of cottonwood trees. Newman Warren was the first white man to die in the valley at 21 years of age. His parents, Lewis and Mary Jane Warren inherited his property and sold it for $2,000 for the town site. Lewis worked hard to have the town named after his son, Newman’s Grove. The City Park and Golf Course are currently located on this property and some of the original cottonwoods still stand.

The first buildings that replaced the dugouts were sod houses, then wood frame structures, or log houses. The first businesses, school, post office and homes were built in “old town” with much of the wood hauled by horse drawn wagon from Columbus because wood was so scarce.

The Texas Cattle Trail passed through Shell Creek Valley at Newman Grove and at times thousands of cattle could be seen making their way to Texas from the north driven by wild cowboys. There were times when a tribe of Indians of about 1,000 came through Newman Grove and camped in the area. Some incidents with the Indians and new settlers were reported, but for the most part all lived peacefully.

As the community grew, decisions were made to move the town to higher ground south and attract the railroad, a vital component to secure the future of a new town. In 1886, the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad chose to route through Newman Grove. The Western Town Lot Company formed by local citizens and the Pioneer Townsite Company formed by the Railroad plotted and sold lots for homes and businesses. Brick and wood frame homes and businesses were built, some still standing. Newman Grove was incorporated February 9, 1888, with over 200 citizens and grew to its peak in the 1920’s of 1260 people with many businesses, homes, schools, churches, and a fluent society life.

The many hardships endured produced determined and hearty people, many of whom can trace their roots to this humble beginning. Community and family life thrive and are the key part of what makes Newman Grove.

In 1988, the community gathered history of the town and of many families that have lived here throughout the first century and created The Newman Grove Centennial Book, The First 100 Years. Much of the known history and photographs are now in print in this book for the next generations to enjoy.

In 2013, the community again gathered to celebrate the Q125 with events and another wonderful book, Newman Grove One Hundred Twenty-five Years in Pictures 1888-2013. Also, there is a book published in the 40’s by Judge Halderson, called The Tri-County Pioneers, which told stories firsthand of many of the early families.

In 1963, Newman Grove celebrated the 75th Diamond Jubilee. Information can be found in the Newman Grove Reporter, much of the information included in Tri-County Pioneers was reprinted throughout the year.

These books are kept at the Newman Grove Public Library along with Microfilm of early newspapers of the era dating back to the 1800’s.

City Park
City Park showing some of the original cottonwood trees planted by the city's namesake
City Park
City Park showing some of the original cottonwood trees planted by the city's namesake
City Park
City Park showing some of the original cottonwood trees planted by the city's namesake
next arrow
previous arrow
Skip to content